What do I blog about?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Relaxing Eye Masks


These masks are filled with dry lentils and dried lavender flowers! The comfortable pressure across the eyes combined with the beautifully relaxing aroma of lavender makes them a perfect accessory when catching up on some beauty sleep! They can be warmed in the microwave, or chilled in the refrigerator to obtain a desired comfort. I had fun making these eye masks in different varieties, some reversible and some with ribbon rather than fabric ties- even one with an elastic band!  I'm going to toss one in my over night bag to take to the hospital for that first night, or day when I'm trying to catch a nap, following labor and delivery- probably the lace one; it's my favorite!

Where did I get the idea for these eye masks? Well...

According to all the Joanns sale flyers in my mail box, September is national sewing month. 
Happy Sewing Month Everybody! 
According to Craft Buds, September is Craft Book month. 
Happy Crafting via Craft Book Everybody!

In honor of the fabulously dubbed crafting and sewing month: September, 
I pulled out an excellent book gifted to me by my grandmother:

Not only does this learn to sew book start out slow, walking the reader through understanding fabric, sewing supplies, and sewing machines, it offers step by step pictured tutorials to create a variety of sewing projects! Napkins, totes, belts, pillows, skirts, blouses... It even includes a CD with fun things like pdf patterns and applique designs!
**Edit added 9/30: Upon further exploration, I realize that most of the patterns on the CD appear smudged and jumbled. If you buy this book, save the receipt because you can't make any of the projects without the patterns. Boo. 

I flipped through the pages and came across instructions for a relaxing eye mask. The lesson boasts skill building in stitching curves, filling and stuffing, and using the slip stitch. Ok, so I could use a little practice with the slip stitch... but mostly, I was drawn to this project because I knew it wouldn't take very long and I'd love the result!
I'm also en route to link up this post at the Craft Buds Craft Book Project Link Up! I just think it's fun to participate and admire other crafters handiwork, but I know there are cool prizes up for grabs too. So if you've created something from a craft book, head on over before it's too late so you can play along too!


11 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I especially like the polka dot one. Thank you for stopping by my little blog today. I'm so happy to follow back and to learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I wrote out a comment and realized it was almost the exact same as Lena's! So what she said :) And I'm your newest Facebook follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I found your comment on Lena's blog. I am a professional seamstress along with many other hats. So nice to find you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, pretty, pretty, pretty! I think I might have a bash at making one or two for gifts this year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look awesome! Annnnd Vampire Diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh fun! I love the lace one too, looks so soft and comfy. Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh... these look so relaxing! I need one. Thanks for sharing this great idea at our Keep Calm & Link Up party! Hope to see you again in a couple of days for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessica,
    How beautiful and cute idea! I love the polka dots one!Thanks so much for
    sharing.
    I'd love for you to visit my blog.

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO cool!! I am super sensitive to light and my hubby always makes fun of me for a little tiny light waking me up! But, I hate sleeping with my head under a pillow, too. This would be perfect! Plus, I love that you can warm it and it has aromatherapy benefits! Pinning!!! Thanks for sharing at our Weekend Wonders party!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jessica! This is such a great idea! They look relaxing and super cute! Thanks for sharing! I am following along :) And I didn't know it was sewing month in September! Have a great day!
    Rebecca
    www.heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica, you won the book Yarn Bombing from Craft Book Month! Please email me at lindsay @ craftbuds.com with your mailing address, and we'll send the prize your way :)

    ReplyDelete