What do I blog about?

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

DIY Bunting Wall Decals

The wall above babys bassinet is awfully bare, so I added a little man themed bunting that matches the rag quilt I recently created. I stuck them right to the wall where I wanted them using a DIY wall paste (recipe below).
I've used this wall paste before, like when I plastered a quote from the incredible book, The Help, by Kathryn Stockett onto the living room wall in our last apartment:
Wall quote from, The Help.
The best part is, and I do speak from experience, the decals peal right off with absolutely no damage to wall or paint.

Here is the recipe for this incredible goo:

1/8 cup corn starch
2 1/4 cup cold water, seperated

Mix the corn starch with 1/4 cup of cold water and set it aside. Bring remaining 2 cups of water to a boil and then added the corn starch mixture. Boil for about thirty seconds and then let cool before using a paint brush to paint the back of the letters, stick the letters to the wall, and paint over the front of the letters. 

I suggest keeping a rag ready to catch any possible drips, but really this isn't a messy project. I've heard of clever people mixing up a big batch of this goo and plastering yards of fabric onto walls as if it were wall paper. Perfect for those of us who are renting and can't actually use wall paper or paint to decorate. The awesome part is that when you want to remove the fabric, you simply peel it off, wash it and use it in your next sewing project!

9 comments:

  1. Great way to add character to the room, Jessica!!! Hope you don't mind, but I'm pinning this for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really cool idea--adds so much personality to your place!!! Newest follower from the GFC blog hop. Would love it if you could visit my humorous blog site and follow back! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you from Friday Chaos. I love the idea of a paste that will come right off the wall. I am going to have to try this out for sure. Thanks for the idea. Off to explore your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Following from Friday Chaos! I look forward to connecting with you!

    Christie
    http://satisfactionthroughchrist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome idea! I'd love for you to pop over and share it in Mommy Solutions! As well as any of your other ideas! I'm new here and love your blog.

    Crystal

    http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2012/09/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions-60/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Love this! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great tip! I'll be trying this for sure :) New follower from the Mom's Monday Mingle too.. Hope you can follow back as well :) Have a great day!

    http://thethriftinessmiss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete