What do I blog about?

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Apple Sauce/ Apple Pie

Making apple sauce is so easy! Of course, it is best cooked with cinnamon and sugar... but for a healthier treat I threw cored, chopped apples (skin on) in the croc pot set to the low setting, with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. I stirred it occasionally, and after four hours we were enjoying a tart treat. I also made a couple of batches without the skin, and tossed them in the blender for a few seconds. Turned some into baby food cubes by freezing it in the ice cube trays, and plan to use the rest for recipes I have found that call for apple sauce. While the croc pot was doing its job, I chopped some fresh apples and mixed them with the ingredients to my great- great grandmothers apple pie recipe; (substituting my gluten free flour blend for the all purpose flour) I also added a bit of lemon juice to preserve the freshness. I filled some zip lock bags and put them in the freezer for a later use. I was tempted to make a pie right then, but Hubby's been asking for a pumpkin pie for a few days now... Silly him, doesn't re realize I'm on an apple kick?


No comments:

Post a Comment